Saturday, December 19, 2009

!!!!

Hi Everyone!!
Thank you, Lily, for your wonderful words. So here's how it happened, the story isn't that complicated:
Last night, Derek said we should go ice skating (I didn't really want to, I thought it would be too cold, but Derek promised we wouldn't have to stay long). So we went to a little outdoor rink in downtown Elkhart, IN (Derek's hometwon). It was all lit up for Christmas and very pretty. I think Lily mentioned that I used to ice skate when I was a little girl, so I like to do some spins or jumps just to see if I still can. I stopped spinning, and Derek skated up to me and said "Hey, would you like to do a lap with me as my fiance?" And he pulled out the ring!


The ring is a cushion cut diamond, which is a sort of rounded square. The setting is a cathedral setting with sort of trellis design--or a truss from a bridge (Derek thought it was appropriate because my college major was civil enginering). I love how it is so simple, but still kind of different.

As Lily mentioned, Derek and I started dating our sophomore year in college--we were both in the Notre Dame marching band together. He played baritone, I played mellophone. Our mutual friends decided we should go to the band formal together, and we just clicked. I knew he was The One when he accompanied me to see High School Musical On Ice, with only a few complaints.

And of course, I will be sharing all of my wedding plans on this blog! I can't wait to get started. Merry Christmas everyone!

1 comment:

  1. mellophone? disgusting. You play Falto, my dear. So what if no one knows what it is? But I love you, your ring, and the fact that you get to start planning a wedding! jealousy!

    ReplyDelete